The City of Rocky Top will be accepting applications for a Rocky Top Police Officer. Successful Applicants will be required to pass a background check, physical, psychological, and drug/alcohol test prior to final consideration for the position. Applicants must be minimum age of 21 years old. This is a full-time position with a pay range for Certified Officers, preferrably with 5+ years of relevant law enforcement experience.
Applications and complete job description may be picked up at City Hall during normal business hours or download from the City website www.rockytoptn.org.org. Applications must be returned to City Hall 195 S Main Street, Rocky Top, TN 37769 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and will be accepted until Wednesday 24th November 2021 at 4:00 p.m.
The City of Rock Top is a Drug-Free Workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate with regard to race, color, sex, age, disability or national origin.
CITY OF ROCKY TOP, TENNESSEE POLICE OFFICER
The employee is responsible for work performed in the prevention, detection, and investigation of crimes and accidents. Duties also include protecting property, facilities, and people through the enforcement of laws and ordinances under the direct supervision of the assigned shift captain and assigned shift sergeant. Independent judgment is used according to the situation and sometimes different courses of action must be taken to complete the task.
This is a full-time position for Certified Officers with a base pay of $39,390. Overtime is not calculated into this figure.
The employee will operate law enforcement equipment including, but not limited to: police cars, mobile radios, walkies, cameras, body worn cameras, digital recorders, radar equipment, computer equipment, tasers, batons and lethal weapons, such as, pistols, shotguns and rifles.
Work is performed in both office and field settings on a rotating shift schedule in all weather conditions. The employee is exposed to dangerous conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Primary functions require sufficient physical ability to work in a law enforcement setting and an office setting; restrain or subdue individuals; walk, stand, sit, or run for prolonged periods of time.
• May be required to carry, drag, or restrain individuals from 50 to 300 pounds, and lift more than 50 pounds.
• Occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist.
• Occasionally climb and balance.
• Regularly push, pull, lift, and/or carry light to moderate weights.
• Frequently lift and/or move moderate to heavy weights.
• Occasionally lift and/or move heavy weights.
• Operate office equipment including use of computer keyboard.
• Requires a sense of touch, finger dexterity, and gripping with hands and fingers.
• Ability to speak and hear to exchange information.
• Ability to operate a vehicle to travel to various locations.
• Ability to operate and use specialized law enforcement tools and equipment including guns and handcuffs.
• See in the normal visual range with or without correction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus, for operation of machines and equipment, determination accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observation of general surroundings.
• Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Must be able to fire a weapon accurately.
• Patrols by foot or motor vehicle, the streets of the City, places of business, and residential districts enforcing City ordinances and State laws.
• Investigates suspected crimes, reports findings, and arrests suspected individuals.
• Investigates accidents involving persons or property, reports probable cause of accidents, and pursues appropriate course of action.
• Directs and controls traffic.
• Testifies in court or legal proceedings.
• Issues written citations.
• Operates and maintains all law enforcement equipment. Makes written accident reports.
• Must be able to defend himself/herself and others with and without the use of deadly force.
• Must have ability to react quickly and calmly in emergency situations and to determine proper course of action.
• Must make arrests when necessary.
• Must understand and enforce laws and ordinances.
• Must exert themselves physically for short periods of time, such as running and lifting.
• Be able to keep accurate written records and provide accurate accounts and descriptions of incidents.
• Take citizen complaints.
• Work during parades, ball games, etc.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to ascertain facts by personal contact, observation, and the examination of records.
• Ability to explain and interpret pertinent provisions of laws, ordinances, and regulations.
• Ability to enforce laws firmly, tactfully, and with respect for the rights of others.
• Ability to learn to operate all law enforcement equipment required in the performance of required duties.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions. Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with the public and other employees.
• Knowledge of the court system and presentation of evidence in court proceedings.
• Knowledge of City ordinances and State Laws.
• Knowledge of geographic area of the City.
• Must have a valid TN Driver’s License with a good driving record.
• Must be at least 21 years of age.
• Must be a high school graduate or equivalent.
• Must be a citizen of the U. S.
• Must not have been convicted of a felony or a serious misdemeanor involving Moral Turpitude as the term is defined by law, and not to have been released or discharged under any other than Honorable conditions from any of the Armed Forces of the U.S.
• Must have his or her fingerprints on file with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.
• Must pass a medical examination by licensed physician.
• Must pass a drug screen by a licensed physician.
• Must have a good moral character as determined by investigation.
• Must be free of all apparent mental disorders as described in the Diagnosis and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders Third Edition (DSM-11) of the American Psychiatric Association and must be certified as meeting the criteria by a qualified professional in Psychiatric and Psychological fields.
• Current Tennessee Post Certified Officer applicants only.